Tuesday, January 17, 2012

South Africa, How I miss you!

Last March I went on a trip to South Africa with a church to help RHI(Restoring Hope International) in Welkom, SA! RHI is helping children orphaned by HIV/AIDS. It was one of the most life changing experiences I've ever had. It put life into perspective very well. I've been reflecting back on this trip. How can I let what I learned there effect my day to day life? Well... it showed me what mattered in life.. and what didn't matter. I saw that they rely on God for everything. Here, we get away with thinking we only need God when hard things happen.. They can't cover up their need for God with stuff very easily there because they don't have stuff.  Here I get caught up in ALL my stuff. It is terrible. When seeing a child who is all alone and very sick in the hospital, when seeing houses the size of my bedroom, when seeing graveyards for three year old's, when hearing teenagers praise Jesus though they have gone through things I will never go through,  that makes you start thinking twice about your life.

Matthew 5 "He said: 'Blessed are the poor in spirit,for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.  Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.  Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.  Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.' "




























1 comment:

  1. Ah...i miss it too. It's good to be reminded of. Just this morning I was looking through my mission trip scrapbook. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete